Premises Liability And Slip-And-Fall Injuries In Alabama And Mississippi
Premises liability is a specific area of law that deals with the legal obligations of property owners to ensure their premises are safe from hazards or warn visitors of the potential danger when a hazard is present. If you’ve been hurt on someone else’s property in Alabama or Mississippi and feel it was due to unsafe conditions you should have been warned about, contact the experienced personal injury attorneys at Pepper & Odom to learn whether you can seek compensation.
There are numerous hazards that could lead to a wide range of accidents and injuries. However, many premises liability claims are the result of slip/trip injuries. Some common hazards that could cause someone to slip or trip and fall include:
- Tripping over trash, debris or other clutter
- Slipping on spilled liquids, food, oil or other foreign substances on floors
- Slipping on floors recently mopped floors without properly displayed signage
- Slipping on snow or ice not properly shoveled from walkways
- Tripping on broken steps, stairs, sidewalks or other uneven surfaces
- Tripping on torn carpeting or other damaged flooring
- Slipping on loose rugs or mats
- Tripping due to insufficient lighting
You must prove the property owner/manager was responsible for your slip-and-fall injury. There are four main things you must prove in a premises liability lawsuit:
- There was a hazard on the property
- This hazard caused your injury
- The property owner/manager knew, or should have known, the hazard existed
- The property owner/manager had a reasonable opportunity to fix the hazard
If you enter an area where you should have been aware of a hazard, you may not be able to collect some or all of the damages you claim for a slip-and-fall injury. Posted warning signs or obvious hazards like standing water can shift responsibility for your injury onto you. Evidence can be lost or altered when the property is changed or repaired following your accident, so contact a lawyer quickly.
Hire A Top Slip-And-Fall Injury Attorney
If you’ve suffered a slip-and-fall injury due to a property owner’s negligence, count on the experienced personal injury attorneys at Pepper & Odom to get the compensation you deserve. We offer free initial consultations, and if there’s no recovery, there’s no fee! Speak with one of our premises liability lawyers in Mississippi at 601-202-1111 or in Alabama at 205-250-1107 today!